Thank you to American Girl for hosting our lunch.
My first experience in an American Girl store was many years ago during a trip to New York. It was a quick in and out visit to purchase first dolls, and I’ve always wanted to visit again when there was more time to enjoy the full experience. Aly’s birthday gave us an excuse to return; this time to their Charlotte, North Carolina location.
We first visited the store, where the girls had the chance to choose, then change their mind, then choose again what they wanted to purchase with their carefully saved birthday and Christmas money. One highlight was a visit to the salon for a new hairstyle and ear piercing. The girls also received a lesson on how to properly care for their doll’s hair. After the salon visits and shopping were done, it was time for lunch.
We entered the bistro with the three dolls we brought, along with the two dolls purchased that day. Even though we expected each girl to have lunch with just one of their dolls, the staff brought over extra seats for all five.
Every table had a box filled with Table Talkers conversation cards. We had fun asking each other questions.
When our drinks arrived, each doll received her own drink, too.
All five of them.
And their pets.
The food was a great mix of kid-friendly choices along with more adult fare. Don’t forget to save room for dessert. The Sweet Treats menu is especially good, with fun choices like a trio of mini ice cream cones or the Sweet Shop Cupcakes that arrive with a full sized and doll sized cupcake, a piping bag and a selection of candy and sprinkles.
At the end of our meal, our fantastic waitress brought over small bags so the girls could take the tea sets home with them.
Ready to plan your own trip to an American Girl Bistro?
- Make reservations. Although the bistro can sometimes accommodate walk-ins, they do stay busy. This is especially true on the weekends.
- You can view sample menus online before your visit.
- In addition to brunch, lunch and dinner; you can join them on weekdays for afternoon tea and crafts.
- If you’re traveling out of town to visit your American Girl location, look for hotels that offer American Girl packages.
- The bistros offer private rooms and special birthday packages. Check with your location for more details.
- LA, Chicago and New York locations offer American Girl Cafes, a formal dining experience.
- Bring your dolls! Half of the fun is enjoying the bistro with your American Girls!