All things considered I know I’m pretty lucky. I don’t have a ton of allergies. And when I do get annoyed by the ones that I have I need to remind myself that it could be so much worse. I don’t have food allergies and I don’t even have that many seasonal allergies. And the allergies I do have are fairly manageable. Nothing too serious. I have a friend who must remain constantly vigilant because of her son’s life threatening food allergies. (Seriously, check out her blog…she does an amazing job of making sure her son gets to experience all sorts of things we take for granted despite his food allergies.) Things are not too bad for me.
So now that I’ve made it perfectly clear that I know things aren’t that bad and they could be a lot worse, I still want to whine a bit. You see, one of my most annoying allergies is to mold. Mold is impossible to avoid. Everyone breathes in mold spores every day. If I’m exposed to too many mold spores I get itchy eyes, a runny nose and in the worse cases I can break out in hives. It’s not fun.
Mold loves warm moist places. That’s why it’s so commonly found in bathrooms. It’s imperative that I avoid mold as much as possible because of my allergies, but mold can be harmful to everyone, especially little ones.
The first line of defense against mold? Avoid it! Keep the humidity level low and make sure rooms like bathrooms are well ventilated. Did you know you should run your bathroom fan for at least 20 minutes after your shower to adequately control the humidity? (I’m guilty of sometimes forgetting to even turn mine on, but I try!) Keeping things dry will also help. Wiping down counters and areas of the bath or shower where water collects will keep them from becoming a mold breading ground.
When all else fails and mold does appear you need to kill it. Scrubbing it away can actually release mold spores which can be dangerous. You can use a natural solution such as spraying with vinegar or a commercial product such as Tilex to kill mold and mold spores. Just spray area where mold is present and allow it to sit. Make sure area is well ventilated. (Opening a window is recommended.) Avoid your inclination to rinse right away and allow the spray to remain for at least five minutes. (This is key to making sure the mold is killed and not just wiped away.)
Do you have any tips to help avoid mold in your home? What are you favorite ways to rid your home of mold?
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Tilex blogging program, for 8,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.