A copy of Bambi was provided for this post.
Bambi celebrates it’s 75th anniversary this year. To honor this, it’s becoming a part of the Walt Disney Signature Collection. You can now watch the film on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere on May 23rd, joined by Blu-Ray, DVD and On-Demand on June 6th.
The Collection release includes a variety of new bonus material, including recordings of Walt Disney discussing the challenges and triumphs during the production of “Bambi;” deleted scenes and characters; stories and effects that “Bambi” had on the Studio, other films and artists; and much, much more. Additionally, the Digital HD release includes an exclusive, heartfelt feature on the incredible artist, Tyrus Wong, who inspired the film’s soft watercolor backgrounds and beautiful palette.
“Bambi” was released in 1942 during World War II and took over five years to make due to its exquisite hand-drawn artwork and attention to detail. Beloved by generations, “Bambi” holds the No. 3 spot on the American Film Institute’s “10 Top 10,” honoring the 10 greatest animated films of all time. The timeless tale features an adorable young deer named Bambi who explores the wonders and challenges of the woods with his playful pal Thumper, the lovable skunk Flower, and wise Friend Owl – and ultimately fulfills his destiny as prince of the forest.
BONUS MATERIAL (BLU-RAY & DIGITAL* HD) INCLUDES:
- THE BAMBI EFFECT – “Bambi” was full of innovations for its time. Let’s take a look at how those past innovations affected future Disney animated titles all the way up to today.
- STUDIO STORIES: “BAMBI” – Recordings of Walt Disney. Listen in on intimate moments where he discusses the challenges, pitfalls and triumphs during the production of “Bambi.”
- DELETED SCENE: BAMBI’S ICE AND SNOW – Bambi coaxes Thumper and his brothers and sisters to come play on the ice during the first snow.
- DELETED SCENE: THE GRASSHOPPER – A grasshopper confronts Bambi and Thumper and finds himself in quite a predicament.
- BAMBI FAWN FACTS – Think you know everything there is to know about Bambi and his forest companions? Well, it’s time to discover some fun real-life facts about the creatures that live in the forest he calls home.
- OSWALD THE LUCKY RABBIT: “AFRICA BEFORE DARK” – Oswald Short.
- CELEBRATING TYRUS WONG (DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE) – A heartfelt look at the man who played a key role in the success of “Bambi.” Much like Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle, Tyrus Wong had a unique signature style all to his own. The soft water-colored backgrounds and beautiful palettes in “Bambi” were inspired by Tyrus’ concept art paintings.
- DELETED SCENES – Two Leaves, Bambi Stuck on a Reed, Winter Grass, Twitterpated
- THE MAKING OF BAMBI: A PRINCE IS BORN
- STORY: TELLING THE TALE
- CHARACTERS: DRAWN TO NATURE
- ACTORS: GIVING VOICE TO ANIMALS
- ART DESIGN: IMPRESSIONS OF THE FOREST
- MUSIC: NATURE’S SYMPHONY
- HISTORY: BACK TO THE BEGINNING
- TRICK OF THE TRADE (Excerpt)
- INSIDE THE DISNEY ARCHIVES
- THE OLD MILL: ANIMATED SHORT
- ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
- THE GOLDEN AGE
*Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer