One of my favorite Disney dining experiences has to be the time I visited Blue Bayou restaurant. That’s one of the locations inside of New Orleans Square where you can order the Disneyland version of a Mint Julep. It’s a non-alcoholic drink and fans of the original, please note that there’s no reason to tell me how little this resembles a real mint julep. I get it. Trust me. Their version is a refreshing mix of lemon, lime and mint flavors. It’s perfect on a hot afternoon at the park. I decided to try my hand at concocting a version of my own: a Disneyland-inspired mint julep slush! I don’t believe you can order a slush version at the park, and trust me…they should get right on that.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup mint syrup (see recipe)
- ½ cup lemonade concentrate
- ½ cup limeade concentrate
- green food color (optional)
- Add water, sugar, lemonade and limeade concentrate to a sauce pan.
- Heat to boiling and remove from stove.
- Add mint syrup and allow to chill.
- Pour half of the mixture in a blender and fill with ice.
- Blend until slush consistency.
- Repeat with second half of mixture.
- Garnish with mint, cherries and lemon wedge.
- Add green food color before blending if desired.
It’s really easy to customize this to your personal taste. Add more or less mint syrup, lemonade or limeade concentrate…you can even add a little more water before blending if it’s all a bit too tart.
Rumor has it that the official Disneyland Mint Julep recipe uses creme de menthe syrup. It’s not particularly easy to find, so I cooked up a batch of mint syrup that can serve as it’s cousin for this recipe.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- Heat sugar and water to boiling.
- Continue to boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat and add peppermint extract.
- Chill overnight.
- Store in refrigerator.
This recipe will make a ton of slushes, so be prepared to keep your blender busy!
Now that you’ve seen how I make my favorite Disneyland treat at home check out how a few of my blog buddies make their favorites too!
Hand Dipped Corndogs from Dessert Now, Dinner Later
Clam Chowder Bread Bowl from Kleinworth & Co.
Mickey Mouse Ice Cream Treats from Tastefully Frugal
Monte Cristo Sandwich from See Lindsay
Churro Funnel Cake from Artsy Fartsy Mama
Pumpkin Mickey Mouse Beignets from Clarks Condensed
BLT Waffle Fries from Old House To New Home
Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwiches from Love To Be In The Kitchen
Carrot Cake Cookies from Cupcake Diaries
Caramel S’mores from My Latina Table
Mickey Marshmallow Wand from Liz On Call
Dole Whip Popsicles from Bite Of Delight
Dole Whips from Girl Loves Glam
Mint Julep Slush from As The Bunny Hops
Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas from Pretty Providence
Mickey Mouse Cake Pops from Play Party Plan
Mac’n’Cheese Pizza from Over The Big Moon
Mickey Mouse Beignets from Housewife Eclectic
AND enter to win a chance to try all these tasty treats in person at Disneyland yourself! One lucky winner will receive:
- 4 Day/3 Night Hotel Stay in Anaheim or San Diego (winner’s choice)
- 2 Adult and 2 Kids Tickets to TWO Southern California Parks (winner’s choice)
Giveaway is sponsored by Get Away Today. Open to US Residents only. Giveaway will run from Friday, April 7th to Friday, April 14th. Winner will be notified by email and has 48 hours to respond.
Click the photo below to save to Pinterest: