Are you ready for back to school? It’s just around the corner. Back to school time is a great time to begin things on the right foot with some healthy habits.
1. Start talking about healthy snacks and lunches now. Let your children be a part of the planning and even help pack their own. Just be there to help make sure they’re making healthy summers.
2. Remember that when they’re in school doesn’t mean they’ll stay indoors all day. Sunscreen should still be a part of their morning routine even though summer is coming to an end.
3. Make sure every night your child is getting a great night’s sleep. A good night’s seep is essential to a successful day at school.
4. Start each morning with a balanced breakfast. Food is fuel and your child can’t run at school if they’re on empty.
5. Prepare for all of your children’s afterschool activities by getting supplies and gear ready. Consider a backpack with wheels if they are allowed at your child’s school and you are concerned about the weight of books and supplies they’ll be carrying.
6. Back to school time is a great time for your child to get a checkup-and it might even me required if they’ll be participating in sports. Check ahead so you can get any forms filled out by your pediatrician.
7. Talk about outdoor safety with your children including staying hydrated. In many parts of the country it will still be very hot when children are heading back to school. Kids play hard during recess and will need to make sure they stop at the water fountain when they get a chance.
8. Speaking of time outdoors, many schools are having to cut back on recess and physical education programs. If your children are attending schools where this is the case make sure they get time in the afternoon to run, play and stay active. Just because they’re not getting a chance to exercise at school doesn’t have to be a reason children can’t stay active.
9. Remind your children to wash their hands after coughing and sneezing. Washing hands is a frontline of defense against many of the illnesses that come with the school year.
10. Dont’ forget your child’s eyes are an important part of their back to school success. Make sure they have an eye exam to check for any vision problems before they head back to the classroom.
What are your tips for a healthy trip back to school?
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Transitions Lenses blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.