I’m proud to partner Movies Anywhere to bring you these The Shining movie night treats.
I have a reputation for making cute and sweet things. Today I’m making things that are sweet. Cute? Not so much. My The Shining-themed movie night required a few The Shining-themed treats, and cute isn’t on the menu. What is on the menu? Redrum cupcakes and murder scene popcorn in a bag inspired by the famous Overlook Hotel carpet!
Why The Shining? I’m a huge fan of horror movies, and The Shining is one of my favorites. I grew up reading Stephen King novels. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I learned there was a whole thing about how different the movie was from the book. The Shining might actually be one of the few times I haven’t gotten mad at how much the subject matter was changed from page to screen.
Thanks to the Movies Anywhere app, I can watch The Shining-or tons of other favorites-all in one place. I added the app to my iPhone and my Roku, then I connected my Amazon, Vudu, iTunes and Google Play accounts. All of my digital movies are now in one place. It’s perfect for a spontaneous movie night, no matter where you are!
So back to those treats… Redrum something seemed like an obvious choice. I’m also kind of known for my cupcakes. I figured a Redrum Cupcake would be mandatory.
- Vanilla Cake Mix
- Small Box (3.4 oz) Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Rum
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Rum
- Red Food Color
- White Frosting
- Red Gel Icing
- Candy Knives or Axes
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, vegetable oil, 1/2 cup rum and 1/2 cup water in large bowl and mix well.
- Pour into lined cupcake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Combine sugar, butter and 2 tablespoons of water in a saucepan and bring to boil for five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add a few drops of red food color and 1/4 cup of rum and stir well.
- Poke holes in cupcakes with a toothpick and spoon glaze on top of each one.
- Pipe on white frosting.
- Top each cupcake with red gel “blood” and candy ax or knife decorations.
I made knives with a mold and chocolates, but you can find prepared knife and ax candies made specifically for cupcakes, especially around Halloween.
I’m obsessed with the fabulous carpets seen in the Overlook Hotel. To make my The Shining carpet popcorn bags, find a picture of the carpet online (just search “Shining Carpet” and you’ll find a ton of images) and print out one copy for each bag you plan to make. Use a glue stick to paste the carpet image to the front of a black paper bag and trim around the edges.
- 1 Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Small Package of Flavored Gelatin
- 9 Cups Cooked Popcorn (Remove All Unpopped Kernels)
- Spread popcorn out over parchment paper, making sure to remove any unpopped kernels.
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Add gelatin package and mix well.
- Pour over popcorn, tossing well to coat.
- Allow popcorn to cool, then serve.
You can always just throw in a batch of regular popcorn in your bags, but a little murder scene popcorn will always be more fun. Just make sure you use red gelatin if you want to give your popcorn that bloody look!
All that’s left to do is to open up Movies Anywhere and settle in for a creepy good movie night.
Whether it’s a The Shining Movie night or something a little more kid-friendly, keep your digital favorites together withe Movies Anywhere. You can even get up to five free movies when you link your digital retailer accounts!
Click the photo below to save to Pinterest.